After helping thousands of nonprofit organizations increase their year-end appeals from 5% to more than 60% I’ve learned what works.
If you want to raise more with your year-end appeal this is not a “pick & choose” list.
Incorporate ALL of these best practices, every year:
1. Pre-appeal impact messages drafted to send weekly to keep supporters updated before asking for another gift.
2. Identify one compelling appeal story.
3. Story drafted in long, medium, and short versions to use on social media and in your letter.
4. Funding gap message crafted to include in your letter & social media to create a sense of urgency.
5. Giving data reviewed from last year.
6. Appeal letter segmented for first time donors, lapsed donors, major gift donors + all others.
7. Top 100 donor (or more if possible) appeal letters scheduled for personal notes.
8. Engaging thank you letter updated for year-end giving with language and/or story from appeal letter.
9. Thank you calls scheduled to be made within 24 hours of gifts received at $100+.
10. Compelling post-mailing weekly social media (email, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) campaign drafted to include at least 3 messages the final week of the year.
For more information on making your year-end successful download the free eBook: Nine Steps to a Successful Fundraising Campaign